Essential oils for thyroid carry impressive healing properties derived from most sought-after plants and fruits of the planet Earth. These oils have built the foundation of traditional medicine, which has unfortunately become a secondary source of treatment due to the easily accessible synthetic medicine on the market.
Table of contents
If you have been diagnosed with any kind of thyroid or autoimmune thyroid condition your doctor has probably already put you on prescription medicine. But are these modern means of treatment the only solution to our health concerns? Gladly, the answer is “No”!
Active lifestyle, well-balanced diet, and essential oils for thyroid can help you improve your immune system and reverse the concerning symptoms in a safe and effective manner.
Everything you need to know about thyroid
The thyroid is an endocrine gland resembling a shape of a butterfly. It is located below Adam’s apple at the front of the neck. The role of the thyroid gland is immense because the secretion of thyroid hormones entering the bloodstream impacts almost all parts of the human body. Hormones T3 and T4 affect:
- Metabolism: Thyroid hormones increase basal metabolic rate and influence appetite, absorption of nutrients, and gut mobility.
- Cardiovascular system: Thyroid hormones increase the rate and strength of the heartbeat. They also increase breathing rate, oxygen intake, consumption, and the activity of mitochondria. These changes consequently impact blood flow and body’s temperature.
- Development: Thyroid hormones promote normal development, especially in young people by increasing their growth rate. They also play an important role in brain development in fetal stage and later on in life, when increasing the cell growth of the developing brain.
- Other: Thyroid hormones are also involved in regulation of sleep, sexual functions, libido, thought patterns, menstrual cycle etc.
If you have noticed any irregularities in above-mentioned bodily functions, but your doctor hasn’t found the answer to your concerns yet, there is a chance your thyroid is either over producing or under-producing its hormones.
Difference between hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
Most thyroid disorders known to humankind are characterized by abnormal secretion of thyroid hormones. Your thyroid can either be overactive or underactive.
When the thyroid gland is overactive it produces too much T4 hormone (thyroxine). This bodily state, when the thyroid is overactive, is referred to as hyperthyroidism. Most common hyperthyroidism disorder is Graves’ disease, which is an autoimmune disease.
If your thyroid is underactive, it means that the gland doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormones
Such secretion abnormality is called hypothyroidism. The most common hypothyroidism illness is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, which is also an autoimmune disorder.
Both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism cause distinctive symptoms. If you haven’t been diagnosed with either disorder yet, and you think that thyroid may be the cause of your health concern, here are two symptom lists that will hopefully help you put your dilemma to rest.
Essential oils for hyperthyroidism may help you treat these symptoms:
- Sudden weight loss, even if your appetite is the same or increased
- Rapid heartbeat, irregular heartbeat, and palpitations
- Increased appetite
- Anxiety, irritability, and nervousness
- Tremor, which is a slight trembling in hands and fingers
- Menstrual irregularities
- Increased sensitivity to heat
- Frequent bowel movement
- Enlarged thyroid gland
- Thinning of the skin
- Fine, fragile hair
- Difficulty in sleeping
Essential oils for hypothyroidism may help you treat these symptoms:
- Sudden weight gain or having difficulty losing weight
- Slow heart rate
- Carpel tunnel syndrome, which causes pain and tingling sensation in hands
- Menstrual irregularities
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Swelling of the thyroid gland
- Dry skin and hair
- Hair loss
8 Essential oils for thyroid health
- Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil contains two active ingredients called menthol and menthone. These organic components give the oil ability to correct indigestion, whether it is associated with irritable bowel syndrome or hypothyroidism.
The active ingredients within peppermint essence also help treat fatigue, depression, mental exhaustion, dull skin, hair loss, and other symptoms of underactive thyroid.
The most pronounced sign of improper thyroid activity is a change in metabolism, often seen as the weight gain or loss. Most importantly, peppermint essential oil can help you increase your metabolism by boosting your blood circulation and oxygenation as soon as the vapor touches your nerve endings.
- Frankincense essential oil
If you are looking for a suitable essential oil to treat your autoimmune thyroid disorder, be Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or Graves’ disease, frankincense essential oil may be the right choice for you. Frankincense oil contains active boswellic acids, which, according to the study 2014 study published in European Journal of Immunology, can reduce over activation of Th17 cells responsible for many autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.
Speaking of, frankincense is a well known anti-inflammatory agent, which makes it one of the most promising essential oils for thyroid nodules treatment on the market. Thyroid nodules are solid or liquid-filled lumps that form within the thyroid due to chronic inflammation caused by Hashimoto’s disease.
- Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil with its sweet floral scent soothes body as well as the mind. If anxiety, depression, and irritability are the symptoms of your improper thyroid functioning, lavender essential oil aromatherapy may help you relieve the nervous tension and help you regulate the heart rate.
The relaxant nature of lavender essential oil also comes in handy when treating sleep deprivation caused by various reasons, including hyperthyroidism. The 2006 study featured in Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing evaluated the effects of lavender aromatherapy on depression and insomnia in 42 female college students. The results of the research concluded that lavender essence can improve sleep quality and severity of depression.
- Lemongrass essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil enriched with Myrcene, Citronellal and Limonene helps treat indigestion and bloating associated with hypothyroidism by helping the body remove excess gas from the intestine. If depression, anxiety, and nervousness affect your body due to underactive or overactive thyroid, lemongrass aromatherapy can help you gain mental strength and calm nervous disturbances as well.
Lemongrass oil can be also titled as the natural analgesic substance because it reduces pain and inflammation. The anti-inflammatory nature of the oil is strong enough to inhibit the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines that may be the cause of your autoimmune thyroid disorder or thyroid cancer.
- Myrrh essential oil
Myrrh essential oil carries powerful anti-inflammatory qualities suitable for the treatment of enlarged thyroid nodules and other chronic thyroid inflammatory disorders, such as Hashimoto’s disease. The anti-inflammatory nature of myrrh essential oil has been reported to be effective in reducing of pro-inflammatory cytokines known for worsening the symptoms of inflammatory diseases.
Enlarged thyroid nodules are not only caused by inflammatory thyroid disorders but also by thyroid cancer. Fortunately, myrrh the essential oil has been found to have cancer-fighting potential. A 2011 study published in Journal of Medicinal Plants Research showed that myrrh successfully inhibited the growth of eight different cancer cells.
- Clove essential oil
Clove essential oil derived from clove evergreen tree has numerous medicinal uses. When it comes to treating the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, clove essential oil can help you reduce body temperature that often rises due to heightened levels of thyroid hormones within the bloodstream.
Clove essential oil is also a remarkable natural skin care product that helps rejuvenate dry and thinning skin. Clove essence enriched with organic chemicals not only invigorates skin cells but also treats indigestion, sleep deprivation, depression, and anxiety, which are all symptoms of faulted thyroid activity.
- Grapefruit essential oil
Grapefruit essential oil is rich in antioxidants, especially in Vitamin C. The vitamins and antioxidants found in the grapefruit essence support immune system, which, when weakened, if often a cause of thyroid imbalances. In addition, the antioxidant value within grapefruit oil helps the body fight against damaging free radicals and helps the body improve the activity of neurotransmitters for the relief of anxiety and mood swings related, or not related to the thyroid disorders.
The overall influential nature of grapefruit oil stimulates all endocrinal glands, including the thyroid gland, and proper secretion of hormones and enzymes. This feature will help you keep your metabolism and symptoms in check.
- Marjoram essential oil
Marjoram essential oil enriched with Alpha Terpinene, Cymene, Linalyl Acetate, and Linalool helps maintain and restore hormonal balance. Hormonal imbalances in women often manifest into menstrual irregularities. Marjoram essential oil is considered to be natural emmenagogue, which means it helps correct obstructed, irregular, and painful menstruations.
Hormonal imbalances caused by thyroid often affect our digestion as well. Luckily, the scent of marjoram essential oil alone stimulates salivary glands, which are first important part of the gastrointestinal system. Further along the process of digestion, marjoram essential oil acts as a laxative, helping every individual diagnosed with hypothyroidism relieve constipation.
Here are other doTEERRA essential oils for thyroid health worth mentioning:
- Basil essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Clary sage essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
How to use essential oils for thyroid problems + 3 Recipes
You can exploit the healing properties of essential oils for thyroid in these 2 ways:
- Inhalation: Inhale the scent of the chosen essential oil directly from the bottle or diffuse a few drops in a diffuser. The odorant molecules will enter your system through nasal passages and have direct access to your limbic centers in the brain. Aromatherapy will help you improve your mental state, sleep, appetite, and heart rate.
- Topical usage: Molecules of essential oils easily penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstreams. For quicker absorption apply essential oils on the soles of your feet where the largest pores are located. Remember, some essential oils are too strong, and therefore they have to be diluted with a carrier oil.
- Roll-on blend for thyroid health
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops of clove essential oil
- 12 drops of myrrh essential oil
- 12 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 12 drops of citronella essential oil
- Blend all essential oils thoroughly and pour the blend into 5 ml roller ball bottle.
- Roll the blend over your thyroid area, right below Adam’s apple.
- Repeat the process 4 times a day.
- Reduce the application frequency when you start to notice health improvements.
- Spinal column massage blend
- 12 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 12 drops of clove essential oil
- 12 drops of citronella essential oil
- Fractionated coconut oil
- Add all essential oils to the fractionated coconut oil and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Massage the blend along your spinal column and soles of your feet 2 times a day.
- Feet rub for thyroid health
- 10 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops of clove essential oil
- 10 drops of myrrh essential oil
- 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 10 drops of basil essential oil
- Fractionated coconut oil
- Put all essential oils in 10 ml glass roller ball bottle and add fractionated coconut oil to it. Shake the bottle well to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the blend on your feet twice a day.
Lifestyle, dietary, and safety tips
The symptoms of your thyroid disorder can be regulated with the help of few lifestyle and dietary changes. Here is a list of tips you could apply to your daily routine:
- Enrich your diet with foods rich in selenium, magnesium, healthy fats, L-tyrosine (amino acid), and iodine.
- Avoid using cleaning and hygiene products containing a chemical known as Triclosan.
- Avoid drinking tap water containing high levels of fluoride and using hygiene products containing fluoride.
- Avoid eating heavily processed forms of corn, soy, and sugar.
Here is a list of safety precautions that will help you exploit the healing benefits of essential oils for thyroid in an effective manner.
- Always do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen essential oil.
- If you have been diagnosed with a skin condition or have any other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure to consult your medical specialist beforehand.
- Always dilute essential oils with the carrier oil before applying it to your skin.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your medical specialist about the possible side effects.
- Keep the essential oils away from kids in a cool, dark place.